November is National Radon Action Month. Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the ground and is found in every home, though not always at elevated levels. Many Canadians may be unaware of the risks that radon can pose to their health.
Radon is an invisible, odourless gas. You can't see radon. You can't smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
It is the second leading cause of lung cancer and it can lead to many other lung issues. Radon exposure is estimated to be the cause of 16% of lung cancers.
Radon comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. Radon gas escapes from the ground into the air outside. When radon mixes with the air outside, it’s not a problem: the air outside dilutes the amount of radon. But when radon seeps into a closed-in space like a house, it can be harmful. The radon gas can become trapped inside. Any home (old or new) could have high levels of Radon.
You and your family can breathe in high levels of radon without knowing it.
The only way to know if your home has radon is to test for it.