It’s a New Year and sometimes that means a new or renewed commitment to making some changes to your health. Quitting smoking (and all forms of commercial tobacco use) is one of the best things you can do for your health. There are many supports available to help you quit which can improve your chance at having a successful quit. If you are unsure where there is support in your community, your primary care provider (Doctor or Nurse Practitioner) can be a great place to start. Many nurse practitioners and nurses have taking extra training to provide support to those wanting to quit smoking. Some of the options that may be available to you include:
- Group quit sessions in Brandon and Swan River. This program includes 3 one hour classes. In the classes, things like successes and challenges, triggers, cravings and Nicotine Replacement Therapy will be discussed. In Brandon, they are offered at the 7th Street Health Access Centre every second Tuesday at 2:30pm. You may call 204-578-4800 to find out more. In Swan River, you may inquire at the Swan Valley Primary Health Care Centre at 204-734-6600.
- Chronic Disease Education Program clients may consult with their nurse
- Mental Health program clients in the Brandon area may ask their practitioner for more information.
- Individuals may also access these services on the Mobile Clinic or at the Camperville or Waterhen Primary Health Care Centres.
- Nurse Practitioners in many different areas in PMH can also provide this service. Contact your local clinic to see if there is a Nurse Practitioner available.
If you prefer, there are also some other great services available such as:
- Smokers’ Helpline offers free counselling and support
- Toll-free telephone counselling – 1-877-512-5333
- Online at Smokers' Helpline.
- Break it Off is a campaign that helps young adults quit smoking and stay smoke-free
- If you are between the ages of 18 and 29, consider signing up for Health Canada’s Ultimate Break It Off Challenge for your chance to win cash for quitting smoking, staying smoke free or referring a friend. Click here for more information.
- Online at Break it Off.
- Download the Break it Off app available for iOS and Android devices
- Manitoba Quits and The Quit Crowd are Manitoba based peer support groups on Facebook operated by the Manitoba Lung Association and Manitoba Tobacco Reduction Alliance (MANTRA)