“Grieving Is How We Say Goodbye”
The third Tuesday in November marks National Grief and Bereavement Day in Canada. Throughout the month of November, culminating on Nov 15th, the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association is promoting the resources and tools to help Canadians on their grief journeys. Everyone will experience grief at some point in their lives. National Grief and Bereavement Day is the opportunity for Canadians to share and normalize talking about grief, and to highlight the resources that can help those among us who are coping with loss.
Grief is the natural and normal response we have when we lose someone or something that holds great value to us. The grieving process gives us the opportunity to say goodbye to that important piece of our life and acknowledge the adjustments that will come as we move forward, heal and grow.
Prairie Mountain Health Palliative Care is marking National Grief and Bereavement Day by acknowledging those who are experiencing grief and promoting the resources and supports available in our health region. While grief can feel like a lonely journey, there are supports available so that you do not walk this path alone.
Telephone Support Lines:
- Province Wide Bereavement Phone Line (Palliative Manitoba): 1-800-539-0295
- Hope for Wellness Line (Indigenous peoples): 1-855-242-3310
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868
- Winnipeg Humane Society Pet Loss Support Line: 1-204-988-8804
- Manitoba Suicide Prevention & Support Line: 1-877-435-7170
Grief Support Groups:
- Brandon and Area Suicide Bereavement Support Group (SPIN): 1-204-761-4083
- Brockie Donovan Funeral Services Grief Seminars (Brandon): 1-204-727-0697
- Compassionate Friends of SW Manitoba (Brandon and areas): 1-855-727-1823
- Dauphin Way United Methodist Church Grief Groups (Dauphin): 1-251-378-7524
- GriefShare Support Group (Dauphin): 1-204-648-7053
- GriefShare Support Group (Russell): 1-204-773-6963
- Healing Hearts Substance Use Bereavement Support Group (Brandon): 1-204-573-0188
- Memories Chapel Journey Through Grief Support Group (Brandon): 1-204-727-0330
- New Beginnings Grief and Loss Group (Neepawa): 1-204-476-3027
- Palliative Manitoba Kids and Teens Grieve Too! Support Group (virtual): 1-800-539-0295
- Paull Funeral Home Grief Recovery Program (Swan River): 1-204-293-9661
- Prairie Mountain Health Camp Bridges (Children 7-15): 1-204-578-2340
- Westman Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba Grief Groups (Brandon) 1-204-721-2174
On November 15th, in recognition of National Grief and Bereavement Day, a screening of the documentary Speaking Grief will be hosted by Brockie Donovan and Westman Hospice in Brandon. Speaking Grief validates the experiences of grievers and guides those who wish to support them. This event will happen on Nov 15, 2022 @ 4:00pm. To RSVP call 204-727-0694.
Carla Mitchell, MSW/RSW
PMH Palliative Care